Wednesday, July 29, 2009

FYI-My Experience with Online Wine

Retail has been significantly altered since the implementation of the internet. Because of online retailing, consumers have changed the way they purchase everything, from groceries to evening gowns to auto parts. These changes have swept into the wine industry as well.

Like millions of other consumers, I have done my share of online purchasing, including wine. However, I still appreciate my local wine retailers. They do their best to provide customers with tastings, education and information regarding current and past trends in the wine industry.

I recently read in my local newspaper’s wine column about web sites that were selling wines well below the current retail prices. Since everyone is looking to save a buck I decided to sign up to be notified about all these great deals.

On the same day that I signed up on those sites, I received an email from one of them - Winestilsoldout.com. Their notice to me said that I could purchase two bottles of Duckhorn’s 2006 Paraduxx for $37.00 plus free shipping. Recognizing that this was a really good price, I decided to place my order.

One week later I received my shipment of two bottles, which were properly packaged. I immediately placed the bottles in my refrigerated wine closet ,since they felt a bit warm. I waited another week before opening to allow the wine some well deserved settling time.
I’m not sure if it was the wine itself or the hazard of shipping in the summer heat, but the wine tasted and smelled somewhat maderized. (This is a wine term that refers to wine that has been baked, like a Madera). The nose was a bit off and there was a very distinctive prune finish on the palate.

So, I am going to hold off purchasing more wine online for the time being. When the weather cools down a bit in the Fall I may give online wine buying another chance, but for now I will continue to buy from my trusted local wine store.

Fortunately, there is no "bad" season for purchasing my aprons online.

Have yourself a great wine day.
XXOO

Mrs. Reed

4 comments:

  1. Gee golly Mrs. Reed. You sure do drink a lot. Clearly you must have had some of your beloved riesling coursing through your veins when you decided to buy discount wine. You obviously did not consider how the website in question is able to offer such competative prices. Would you have similarly bought a discount Picasso with no concern for how they would ship the masterpiece to you? In the words of Mr. Ricardo who lives down the street from me: "Mrs. Reed, you got some splaining to do!".

    Sincerely,
    the Beaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beav, You are absolutely correct. The lure of the "deal" enticed me into giving the discounters a try. In actuality this is not the time to have wine shipped to your residence. I recently accepted the allocation of my wine from Seasmoke and they will not ship until November because of the heat. I should have known better. I hope that is acceptable 'splaining.

    By the way, you have won the grand prize for being my first commentor. The prize is the other bottle of Paraduxx that I received in my shipment.

    Please keep the comments rolling in. Mrs. Reed is very lonely. I guess I will open another bottle of wine to keep me company.

    Mrs. Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reputable wine stores who sell wine online will check the temperatures and weather forecast and notify you if it is too hot to ship.

    We recommend three day shipping upgrades to our customers frequently and usually cellar customers' wines until fall if they live in a place with hot summers (almost everywhere).

    It upsets me to see online wine sites selling wine cheap with ground shipping when the wine will cook in the back of a truck at 120F plus for, sometimes, days before delivery.

    A virtual hand needlepointed apron with a Pinot glass on it for you... love the blog.

    jean
    www.avalonwine.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean,

    I appreciate and respect your comments re the baking of good wine in the shipping process. You are of course absolutely correct that the warm months are not suitable for 5 day ground shipping. Our most notable local newspaper wrote an article about the low priced online sites. In my zest for "research" and curiosity I thought I would give it a try. I did learn from this experience that you are better off supporting your favorite wine stores by paying a bit more and receiving your product in pristine condition.

    Wishing you a day of beautifully pressed aprons and no wine stains.

    Mrs. Reed

    ReplyDelete