Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Freedom to Drink Cabernet with Dover Sole







Recently Dr. Alex and I went on a golf trip with Fred and Ethel. While we were on this trip we dined at two very nice restaurants. Like so many people Fred and Ethel have rituals with their meals. While we peruse the menu to order Fred and Ethel always order a martini. Once they have completed their cocktail they order their favorite white wine. This wine is called "the House Chardonnay". On the first evening of our two night trip Ethel ordered a Dover Sole and while placing her order for this delicate fish speciality she also placed an order for her favorite
red wine "the House Cabernet". Fred followed suit with ordering short ribs with the same wine choices that Ethel had placed.

Now, I know alot of "wine experts" would be very uncomfortable with pairing a delicate mild fish with a cabernet sauvignon. But this is the way Ethel and Fred like to dine. They love their rituals and are more then satisfied with their wine/food pairing choices. I have tried to suggest maybe doing it a bit differently. When I have made these suggestions Fred and Ethel give me that mind your own business look and you know they are absoutely correct. This is Fred and Ethel's dining ritual and they could not be any happier.

My own mother who I will call Aunt Clara (since my mother reminds me of Aunt Clara from The Bewitched Show) loves Merlot. She only drinks California Merlot. It doesn't matter what her entree is Aunt Clara wants Caleefornia Merlot as her beverage. Aunt Clara feels if the wine comes from Caleefornia then it is safe to drink. You know, all those unsafe wines from France.

So there you go. People have rituals that don't hurt anyone else and these rituals make them feel happy and safe. But lurking out there is the Wine and Food Pairing Gestapo that want to ridicule and tell these people how wrong they are to drink these food and wine combinations. My advice to them is that everyone has the right to drink Cabernet with Dover Sole, so mind your own business and stop interferring with Fred, Ethel and Aunt Clara's rituals.

Speaking of enjoyable wines. I would like to make a recommendation for a lovely Sauvignon Blanc I enjoyed last night with my dinner. Dr. Alex and I dined on a salmon dish with a dill sauce I cooked up for the two of us. I paired this dish with a lovely Duckhorn Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2008. This wine can be had for about $25.00. Duckhorn blends 75% Sauvignon Blanc and 25% Semillon. This is a similar blend for dry white wines from Bordeaux. The nose presents some lemon, grapefruit and pear notes. On the palate I noticed banana, lychee and pear. This wine is very nicely balanced with about 13.5% alcohol. I would annoint this wine with 4 aprons.

Duckhorn Wines are usually very dependable wines. I always feel safe when I purchase any of their wines. Duckhorn's Sauvignon Blanc seems to be fail safe every vintage. It's nice to have a list of certain producers you can always count on. Duckhorn is definitely tried and true.

Wine Recommendation; 4 aprons-Duckhorn Sauvingnon Blanc Napa Valley 2008

Here’s hoping you have a 6 apron day!

XXOO

Mrs. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment