Saturday, July 25, 2009

Defending Robert Parker

There are many people in our society who are recognised as being the best at what they do. Using their natural talents these people entertain, educate and enlighten us-and we are all the better for it. These people can also become targets of unfair criticism. This appears to be the case with Robert Parker. It seems as if everyday someone comes out of the woodwork attacking Parker for the influence he is having on the world of wine.


Don’t we all own a Zagat restaurant guide to inform us on what is the best place to dine on burgers and fries? How about Siskel and Ebert, who for years unabashedly told us what movie we should make sure to see and which ones to avoid? I read Vogue so Anna Wintour, can show me what is acceptable to wear for the upcoming season. And when I sit down in front of the boob tube in the evening I have my trusted TV Guide to tell me what shows I need to watch.


So many gurus running around sharing with us their opinions of what to watch, eat, wear and drink. But, I have never seen a book written panning Anna Wintour for undue influence. Nor blog sites devoted to ripping apart the opinions of Siskel and Ebert. And with all of the bad recommendations that come from the Zagat Guides I never hear about boycotting their worthless books.


Why then the blatant revulsion for Robert Parker? I appreciate the service he and any other wine reviewers provide. I look forward to receiving in the mail my new editions of Wine Spectator, Decanter and yes, even Food and Wine Magazine. All of these publications along with Parker online inform me and all of the other subscribers about different wine regions, new wines, updates on the wine world and any other info they deem important or fun for us uninformed to know.


As we get acquainted with our reviewer’s palates we are then aware of what they like and how it fits with our personal enjoyments. I realize Mr. Parker is turned on by overly extracted, high alcohol, big wines. And since I am aware of that fact I can chose if I want to follow his suggestions or turn to another reviewer for guidance.


Oh yes, I know the Parker complainers state that to get a Parker high rating they must produce a wine that corresponds with his requirements, thus unduly influencing the wine market. I realize I am not as worldly, educated or experienced as say, Alice Feiring but as Donna Reed Q Public I say “we are not sheep following our shepherd to the slaughterhouse.” We are independent wine admirers who can make our own decisions without the protected shelter of the great wine purists that think we can’t figure this whole wine thing out.


Don’t worry, I know that I am only a sitcom star but really my head will not spin around like Linda Blair’s character in the Exorcist if I am given too much info. So, all you Parker critics out there just relax the great wine public can spend our hard earned dollars much more wisely with more information rather than less.


Here is what I have been enjoying recently:


Curran-Grenache Blanc 2006-Santa Ynez, approx $25.00- Honeydew melon, tangerine, nice balance of fruit/acidity ratio. 3 aprons


Hoopes-2005 Cabernet Sauvignon-Oakville, approx $60.00-Red Cherry, red currant, plum with vanilla baking spice. 3 ¾ aprons


I really enjoyed both of these wines and would definitely purchase them again. I appreciated the balance of acidity and fruit so that there was not an over powering of my palate.


May your aprons be balanced with a very pleasurable day.


A Sante


XXOO


MRS. REED

No comments:

Post a Comment