Tuesday, September 15, 2009

French White Wines for the Budget Conscious

Hopefully as we begin to approach Fall the summer heat will continue to subside for all us here in "Anywhere." The sunlight is simmering down earlier, new Fall TV shows are now debuting and of course the "youngins" have gone back to school. I continue to try and focus on my wine studies for the certification test I will be taking in November.

Yesterday, I received a desperate email from my son, Wally eliciting my assistance for his next door neighbor, Robbie Douglas. (Robbie was the second son of My Three Sons fame). You see, Robbie consumes a bottle of white French wine every evening before, during and after his dinner. With the current economic concerns, poor Robbie is struggling to continue with this expensive enjoyment.

Wally's email read something like this: Mrs. Reed, SOS, Robbie Douglas is in need of affordable French, white wines. Preferably priced at $10-$20 a bottle. Please email me a list ASAP. This note was signed, your devoted Son, Wally Cleaver. (Fortunately all the formality Dr. Alex and I taught to Wally and Beaver has really taken hold).

Being the dutiful Mother I immediately jumped into action. First I secured my favorite white pearls around my neck, put on my blue taffeta ruffled apron, placed a wine glass on the table with a freshly opened bottle of Schafer-Frohlich 2006 Nahe Kabinett Riesling and began enjoying this 7.5% alcohol wine. No, not French but there is nothing like the lovely fragrance of Petrol to rev up your morning engines. Beginning a bit sweet and then giving way to a peach and citrus palate I knew this was going to be a good morning.

With White Fang by my side we dove into our research for a list of wine suggestions for Robbie Douglas. (I remember his father; Stephen Douglas always had a French infatuation too. Must run in the family with all of those sons running about). I began going to different sources to compile my list. The sources I included were some wine stores that I personally have great respect for as well as some periodicals, including; Food and Wine Magazine and Wine Spectator.

Les Accents Du Vignoble Viognier Vin de Pays Vignobles de France Le Paradou 2007- Plump, with tasty melon and peach with a hint of anise.-$11.00

Domaine De Gournier Viognier de Pays des Cevennes 2007-Peach, mineral and spice flavors with hints of crème brulee on the finish.-$11.00

Quincy Domaine Sylvain Bailly 2005-Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc with hints of grapefruit and a clean finish.-$15.00

Domaine Chon Muscadet de Sevre et Maine Sur Lie Clos de la Chapelle 2007-Showing oyster, sea breeze, fresh lemon and apricot.-$10.00

Manciat-Poncet Macon Charnay 2007-The Chardonnay grape is well represented with pear, citrus and a creamy mouth feel.-$15.00

Chateau Sainte Marie Entre-Deux Mers 2008 Bordeaux-Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon and Muscadelle varietals comprise this fresh, crisp white grapefruit dry wine.-$14.00

Domaine Des Terres Dorees Beaujolais Blanc 2008-This Chardonnay is displaying lime, white peach, minerality and even some sea breeze on the nose.-$15.00

Because Robbie requested only white French wines that is what I have included in this list. I would also like to suggest (although not French) Hirsch Gruner Veltliners that can be reasonably priced and a great alternative. Of course Spain offers amazingly priced Albarinos and Portugal's Vinho Verdes can be a lovely wine for an appropriate paired dinner or even an aperitif. There are so many affordably priced and delicious wines out there to delight your desires.

Robbie, I hope this list provides some guidance for you and your brothers and please remember to give Bub and your Dad a big hug from Mrs. Reed.

An apron that is well made and reasonably priced can fulfill the same needs as an over priced one.

May your apron pockets be filled with a handy corkscrew and a reasonably priced and delicious bottle of wine.

XXOO

Mrs. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment