Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Finger Lakes Wine Region-One Day Trip

Yesterday I received an SOS from my dear daughter-in-law Mary Alice. The note stated: Mrs. Reed, Wally and I will be going in October to Rochester, New York for the wedding of our close friend, Bill McKay (character Robert Redford played in the movie The Candidate. Only this Bill McKay is conservative). While we are in Rochester we would like to visit the Finger Lakes Region for wine tasting. Please advise; concerning wineries that would be worth our time to stop at. The note was signed your adoring and adorable daughter-in-law, Mary Alice.

When Mary Alice makes a request I snap to it immediately. Since I have never personally visited this region let alone any of the wineries I assembled my information through other blogs or previously obtained information regarding the wineries of this region.

Over the years I have read many wonderful comments about Dr. Frank Konstantin and his highly respected Rieslings and Rkatsiteli. Dr Frank is legendary and I would make this winery a priority above all the others because of his well known reputation. Dr. Frank Konstantin is now deceased but my understanding is that his son took over the winery when he retired.

I checked out Eric Asimov's
blog, The Pour for more info about the wineries he and his blog followers suggested.

Here are some of their recommendations:

Shinn Estate-known for their Merlots

Paumanok-Lots of excellent reviews on their Chenin Blanc, Riesling and Cabernet Sauvignon

Lenz-Highly respected Merlot

Someone also mentioned a blog called: Lenndevours-A New York Cork Report. It may be worth while to peruse this site.

I also found, fingerlakesweekendwinoblogspot.com, this site may be helpful.

Wolffer Estate appears to be a beautiful place to stop by to try their Chardonnay and Merlot.

If you and Wally find you have consumed enough wine, stop by The Corning Museum to view the excitement of glass blowing.

It should be gorgeous in The Finger Lakes with the Fall Foliage in full bloom.

Please wear your apron and fill the pockets with some of the fabulous wines you will be enjoying.

XXOO

Mrs. Reed



No comments:

Post a Comment