Monday, September 21, 2009

Wine Blog Envy-Biscotti and Vin Santo

Since I am new to this whole blogosphere world I spend sometime reading other wine blogs. What has struck me as interesting is all the envy I am finding out there. For instance last week I read one wine blogger that announced on his posting that it had just been determined by the authorities that be (some blog organization named Alawine.com) his blog was now the number one ranked blog out in the wine blogosphere. There were the usual congrats, questions from others regarding how they could rise to his success, some put downs of other highly ranked blogs and then to my surprise bloggers that openly expressed envy. Some of the envy was even bitter with one blogger stating you never comment on my blog so I'm not ever commenting on your blog again.

This behavior reminded me of both naked male athletes in the shower room taking sneaking glimpses of each other to see who reigned supreme and little children saying you wouldn't let me play with your new truck now hands off mine. Wow, the blatant blogging envy really took me by surprise.


Maybe, it is because there is so much anonymity to writing on a blog and not enough face to face that people feel comfortable dissing each other. Since, I am far from a wine expert or really an expert on anything, it all makes me a little squeamish but I am determined to continue this thing I started.


My goal is to try to share and yes, even inform the readers out there who like myself loves and appreciates wine but is not necessarily that worried about all the technicalities. You know, whether I enjoyed a wine, some sort of description of the wine without all of the endless details of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, anyway you get the idea.


I would like to be able to suggest other blogs (no blog envy here), wines and just plain ordinary enjoyment of relationships, family and everyday life with a sense of humor, some fiction and even some truth.


Ok, lets celebrate with a recipe of Biscotti that I recently made and shipped to my darling, daughter-in-law, Mary Alice.


Chocolate Chip Biscotti


Recipe from Giada Di Laurentis (Food Network)

Makes 2 dozen Preheat oven to 350

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn salt
3/4 cup sugar (white granulated)
1 stick room temp unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 tspn ground anise seed (optional or put in less if you wish) good for digestion
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Line a heavy large baking sheet w/ parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking powder
and salt in a medium bowl to blend. (That is really like sifting it all together, breaking
up and clumps). Using an electric mixer beat the sugar and butter to blend. Beat in the
eggs one at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat until blended. (The batter is quite
thick). Add the ground anise and chocolate chips. (If you don't have a mixer, you can
use your strong arms and beat with a whisk and then a wooden spoon. Remember electric
mixers are a newer phenomenon and people have been making biscotti for years).

Form the dough (flour the board and your hands because it can be sticky. I refrigerate the batter for about 15 min.)
into a 16 inch long and 3-inch wide log. Transfer the log to the baking sheet and bake for approx 30 minutes
or until light golden brown. Important-cool 30 minutes.

Place log on cutting board and using a serrated knife cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2-3/4 inch
slices. Arrange the cookies cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake the cookies until pale golden
about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.

If you like add some chopped pecans or walnuts when you add the chocolate chips


Now to really enhance the biscotti open a bottle of 2000 Castello Di Ama, Vin Santo and enjoy the honey, almond and dried fruit notes that will complete your entire biscotti experience.


2000 Castello Di Ama Vin Santo-4 aprons-approx $28.00


Wishing you an apron filled with yummy biscotti and glorious Vin Santo to get your day started. Remember envy is just a waste of time and poorly directed energy.


XXOO


Mrs. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment