Monday, October 5, 2009

Frank Bruni-Born Round-Book Review-Saved by a glass of Chenin Blanc

I know that I have neglected my blogging obligations for a while but, (yes, here is my excuse) I have been so busy lately that I simply have not made the time. Well, at least it was a truthful excuse. I didn't blame White Fang for eating my laptop or Dr. Alex for all the distractions he presents. I have just been very busy juggling the day to day responsibilities that can so easily consume my time.

I don't know if I ever mentioned that when I drive I enjoy listening to audio books. They are so much more fun than-talk radio. With audio books there is none of that screaming, screeching and proselytizing that you get when you listen to those idiots on talk radio.

I recently finished Frank Bruni's book; Born Round. What a colossal disappointment this book turned out to be. Frank Bruni does a fine job narrating his own story. He seems to be a very intelligent man with a somewhat entertaining writing style. But, the book turns out to be a personal diary of his struggles with food that falls flat as the story proceeds. I guess, because of his job as restaurant reviewer for The New York Times, I thought he would be sharing his love affair with food and the excitement of reviewing restaurants in the "Restaurant Capital of the World."

Instead of reviews of great eateries, such as Le Bernadin and Babbo, the listener is subjected to a barrage of binging, purging, pills, diets, scale avoidance and food depression. In the end, after seemingly endless chapters of new diets, Frank finds out about the great hidden secret of "moderation." Oh my, what a crazy concept: eat and exercise in moderation and your weight will remain stable!

After I finished listening to this book, I passed it on to Dr. Alex. He lasted with this audio book for about thirty minutes and left it for me with a note that read, "I believe there are laws about listening to purging while driving. Thanks but no thanks, I'll take Sean Hannity over this dribble." After receiving that comment from Dr. Alex I stuffed that book away for the next Goodwill collection day.

Now, I invite you to pour yourself a wonderful wine from the Loire Valley. I have been trying wines from regions that might be on my upcoming wine test. Recently, I enjoyed a 2006 Chateau Pierre-Bise, Savennieres Roche aux Moines. Lovely golden color, hints of baked apple and honey, with a tinge of lanolin on the palate. I happen to love Chenin Blanc and this wine is a very nice representative of a Chenin Blanc from this region. At approximately $28.00 and 14% alcohol, you can have a wonderful wine experience, with or without a meal.

2006 Chateau Pierre-Bise, Savennieres Roche aux Moines-approx. $28.00
4 aprons.

Have yourself a sunny apron day.

XXOO

Mrs. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment