Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Toasting Don Draper on the birth of Baby Eugene

I would like to propose a toast to Don Draper and his newest offspring Eugene Draper. What champagne could possibly be manly and yet elegant enough for a man of almost Olympian attributes? And while I'm at it lets throw in a cigar to complete this 1963 picture of happiness.

Drum roll please; Krug 1959! Michael Broadbent states this champagne offers; deep straw, small bubbles, scent of fresh fungi and walnuts. This was an amazing vintage producing some fabulous champagne. Regarding cigars; if the H. Upmann Petit Coronas were good enough for our President in 1963 than they would definitely be the appropriate cigar for our hero, Don Draper welcoming his new son into the world.

Here's to you Baby Eugene, may you be fortunate enough to someday enjoy the pleasures of a bottle of 1959 Krug Champagne and H. Upmann Petit Corona for good measure.

And as for you Don, with one hand holding a glass out of this world champagne and the other embracing a presidential quality cigar your hands should be plenty occupied to keep you out of all your Herculean trouble.

Hope your apron pockets are filled with out of this world surprises.

XXOO

Mrs. Reed

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Reed --

    We are taking a trip to Rochester in October and were curious about the Finger Lakes region. We won't have time to explore, but we still wanted to try some wines. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Mary Alice,

    I will post today on the Finger Lakes region. Although I have never personally visited the area I will do my due diligence and relate to you what I am able to find in my research.

    Wishing you a comfy apron day.
    XXOO
    Mrs. Reed

    ReplyDelete