Monday, August 31, 2009

Mad Men-What Does Don Draper Drink?

I love the show Mad Men. Just like every other female out in TV watching land I especially adore Don Draper. Don is the ultimate, the epitome of cool. All of the Mad Men and Mad Women enjoy their alcoholic beverage. They seem to drink morning, noon and night and still accomplish their work and for sure their play. So what wine is Don Draper drinking when he is sitting in his leather booth at one of those very chic dinner clubs he frequents with or without Betty? When Don orders his filet mignon (rare) what wine has he instructed the sommelier to pour for his table?

My bet would be the 1959 Mouton Rothschild, Bordeaux. Why did I settle on that particular vintage and producer? I think Don would admire Mouton Rothschild because at that particular time he was still a second growth. (Mouton Rothschild became a first growth in 1973). I think Don would appreciate that Mouton had to try harder and be even better than the four Bordeaux First Growths. In his very suave and debonair way I think Don is always trying harder because of his own background.

Whether you agree or disagree with Robert Parker he gave this particular wine one hundred points. So, even if you disregard Parker and subtract ten points, a ninety pointer still isn't too shabby.

Now, I would be privledged to describe this wine to you, but my chances of getting close to the 1959 Mouton Rothschild are about as good as having a filet mignon (rare) with Don Draper. Hey, a girl can dream.

Have yourself a dreamy apron day.

XXOO

Mrs. Reed

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Reed,

    I wholeheartedly agree with your Don Draper analysis, very insightful! I too love Mad Men, but I have to admit I spend most of my time staring at the beautiful clothes the cast is wearing, so I thought you would enjoy this post from the Mad Men Fashion File entitled "Ingenues vs. Matrons"

    http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/2009/08/episode-2-fashions.php#more

    p.s. the champagne you gave Beaver and I on our anniversary was wonderful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Mary Alice,

    I truly appreciate your kind and thoughtful comments. I absolutely agree with you regarding the clothing and very authentic feel of the show. Of course I enjoy the alcoholic consumption and everyone female's fantasy, Don Draper the most.

    In last weeks episode the conversation between the new "woman" Petty and the past "woman" Olive was chilling to watch. The writers presented an amazing depiction of the generational change that was occuring in women's roles.

    Now for you, my dear; if you shared that bottle of champagne with Beaver and not Wally you got yourself some 'splaining to do. Like I always say "leave it to Beaver", you never know where that rascal will pop up.

    Have a 6 apron day.

    XXOO

    Mrs. Reed

    ReplyDelete