Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hot as Hell and Drinking Wine to Cool Me Down

Hello my dear readers. I am back from the brink and ready to start blogging again. I know I have been away from writing for about two weeks, but I have some really good excuses for my absence. Oh yes, I can tell from all the comments that I was greatly missed. It does make me a bit sad to think I am just communicating with myself, but the operative word here is "bit." I do hope that eventually someone out in blogosphere will begin some sort of dialogue and I will have an endless amount of comments. I will be patient that somehow, somewhere and some way a "Whos" (you remember Horton Hears a Who) will shout out "a blog is a blog not matter how small."

I did mention excuses so please let me clarify:

Aunt Clara (my mother) and her husband, Jacques Cousteau (former seafood customs broker) suffered the passing of their seventeen year old dog, Fifi. Clara and Jacques decided to have a full fledged funeral for their beloved Fife, including sentimental stories, viewing of the embalmed body and graveside service. Coincidentally this all took place on the same day as my birthday, but really can you think of a better way to spend the day of your birth!

Attending the funeral were my sister, Betty Princess Anderson, (Father Knows Best) and her husband, Igor (of Frankenstein fame). Dr. Alex and I have not spoken with Betty and Igor for about four years when we all went on a family cruise that turned out more Poseidon Adventure than Love Boat. So, there the six of us were memorializing the deceased Fife at the pet cemetery. I'm not sure if you remember but Betty was always very dramatic and she has not missed a beat with her histrionic behavior. Betty and Igor recited religious prayers, poetry and cried endlessly about Fife and canine afterlife.

Now I must admit no one adores dogs more than me. I love my White Fang with all my heart but there are limitations to what I would ask other people to endure for my deep devotion to my precious dog. Believe me when I tell you that the limitations were greatly exceeded on this hot as hell summer morning at the pet cemetery.

Ok, I am on to my next excuse for not writing: Dr. Alex threw out his sacroiliac playing golf and was in excruciating pain. There went our plans for getting away for my birthday. Instead we ended up going to the best restaurant in "Anywhere USA" for a poorly executed Italian meal and wine that tasted like it had been baking in the hot sun.

I ordered a glass of the 2006 Newton unfiltered Chardonnay from Napa Valley. I found this wine overly oaked, caramelly and extremely viscous. Dr. Alex ordered a glass of Barolo Sordo 2004 that was very meaty with sort of a stewed character. Dr. Alex's second wine by the glass was a Primitivo that is not even worth mentioning. It too was hot, meaty and had baked essence. Next, I ordered a glass of Felsina 2007 Chianti Classico. Once again, I believe there was wine storage problem. Actually, all three red wines tasted very much the same which should not be the case since they were different varietals.

I am going to refrain from assigning any aprons since I think that possibly under the correct circumstances these wines could garner more aprons than I would currently appropriate.

On the positive side, Dr. Alex's sacroiliac is now properly situated where it is suppose to be located. We sent flowers to Dr. Marcus Welby for his great chiropractic work on Dr. Alex's back. He really should have a show of his own. Aunt Clara and Jacques Cousteau are slowly recovering from the loss of their beloved Fife. I'm sure Betty and Igor are busy happily experiencing the pleasures of depression.

As for me I am busy studying for my sommelier certification test. I recently completed reviewing Alsace and Bordeaux. I have been focusing on the important varietals of these two regions. In Alsace I am particularly interested in the Alsace Grand Cru wines of Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris and Muscat. This week I will be tasting wines from Alsace and their counterparts domestically so I can hopefully recognize the differences in the blind tasting portion of the test. This week I will write in detail about the varietals and producers.

To quote my pals from Heehaw "ya all come back now ya hear". I sure would love to receive comments and hear what wines you have been experiencing.

Wishing you ice cubes in your apron pockets to ease your summer heat.

XXOO

Mrs. Reed



No comments:

Post a Comment