Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chardonnay-Chocolate Chip Cookies and Hoss Cartwright

The countdown for my Court of Master Sommelier Certification examination this November continues. I woke up this morning knowing that I only have ninety-one days left until “test day”. Now, how many people have the good fortune of waking up to a day of wine tasting? I am raising my hand in the affirmative to that question. Since time is passing quickly, I thought that would be my best plan of attack.

Chardonnay seemed like a great wine to kick off the day. “Kaleefornia” , (I love the way Governor Arnold pronounces the name of that great state) produces some wonderful Chards. Of course when it comes to wine the French have mastered the production. So, I decided to compare new world versus old world vintages.

My choices were 2007 Dancing River, Clarksburg and 1999 La Chablisienne , Premier Cru, Chablis. With my Sommelier white wine tasting grid in hand I opened the bottles, poured, sniffed, swirled and began making my observations.

First, I needed to analyze the aroma flavors of the La Chablisienne from Chablis. I determined lemon, lime, wool and a mineral dusty scent with neutral oak. My conclusions regarding structure assessment were the following; dry, medium plus for acid and finish. Alcohol received a medium, turns out the wine is 13% alcohol.

Next wine, the 2007 Dancing River, Clarksburg, displayed green apple, pineapple and melon on the nose. The palate revealed a dry wine with medium acidity, alcohol (13.8%) and a medium finish.

Oops, I hear horses outside. It must be Ben Cartwright and his sons who just arrived from the Ponderosa. Gotta run and put on my apron so that I can bake a batch of cookies. Hoss just loves the big chocolate chippers.

2007 Dancing River, Clarksburg-approx $17.00-2 aprons

1999 La Chablisienne , Premier Cru-approx $17.00-2aprons

Wishing you warm cookies in your apron pockets.

XXOO

Mrs. Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment